The Rhode Island SPCA is a great place to work.
Every year, our employees make a difference in the lives of thousands of animals and touch the lives of just as many people in our community. Join the team at the Rhode Island SPCA and be part of one of the largest nonprofit animal welfare organizations in Rhode Island serving pets and the people who love them.
The following positions are currently available:
Development & Community Relations Assistant
Position Summary: The Development Assistant, under the supervision of the Director of Development & Community Outreach, will help to build and sustain the Rhode Island SPCA’s fundraising goals to ensure sustainability and organizational growth. This position is responsible for providing administrative, writing, engagement and solicitation support for the Development department and tracking and implementing fundraising activities for the organization.
Compensation: This is a full-time position that reports to the Director of Development & Community Relations. Salary range for this position is $28,000 – $32,000. Benefits package includes company paid Health Insurance, paid time off and holidays.
Database & Gift Management:
- Manage all donation types (mailed, online, event related, pledges, matching gifts, and planned gifts) so all are properly documented within the donor database, ensuring data integrity through accurate data entry and ongoing clean-up efforts while troubleshooting database issues
- Manage gift acknowledgement process and produce donor letters on a weekly basis.
- Coordinate & Manage all mailing lists for appeals, invitations, event RSVPs and other fundraising efforts
- Regularly manage updates to constituent database and constant contact mailing lists to ensure all contacts are properly moved through the development process
- Coordinate & Manage financial reporting needed for Development Department, Bookkeeping and President as needed (ie: deposit reports, campaign updates and monthly financial reports)
Development & Fundraising Initiatives:
- Assist with expanding individual donor programs and creating new fundraising programs such as membership and monthly donors and increasing support of current donors
- Assist with developing initiatives to increase online giving through campaigns, programs and fundraisers
- Assist with the writing and editing of appeals, acknowledgements, donor news, reports, and proposals
Event Related Duties:
- Works closely with the Director of Development to plan, organize, coordinate, promote, and facilitate Rhode Island SPCA signature events, and community outreach events
- Assist with the solicitation of sponsors, vendors, in-kind donations and event attendees/participants
- Assist with on-site management of all events
- May be responsible to execute and manage smaller events
Qualifications: The ideal candidate for this role will possess excellent people skills, exceptional communication skills, and efficient time management skills. The Development Assistant will enhance the efficiency of administrative functions, while working alongside the Director of Development to create and grow fundraising programs while maintaining positive relations with donors, and ensure the integrity of development processes.
Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- 1-3 years of nonprofit development work or commensurate experience
- Understanding of nonprofit development, especially tracking and gift management
- Proficiency with common computer applications, including Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, internet research; experience with donor databases is strongly preferred, Quickbooks experience is a plus
- Detail oriented and self-driven, with strong organizational and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an office environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to learn and desire to grow in the nonprofit development field
- Clear understanding and commitment to the Rhode Island SPCA’s mission
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently as well as work well in a team environment
- Valid Driver’s License and access to reliable transportation required
- Sense of humor is a definite plus
- Physical demands of the job require extensive computer work, sitting for extended periods of time. Event days require extended periods of walking, standing and bending throughout the day
- Ability to lift 30-50 lbs to assist with event and program related tasks
How to Apply: Interested candidates should send their resume and contact information to email@example.com with the subject line “Development Assistant.” If your qualifications meet our requirements you will be contacted to set up an interview time. No phone calls, please. Posted: June 16, 2020
The Rhode Island SPCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status.