Interested in joining our team to help animals in our community?
Employment at the Rhode Island SPCA provides a wide variety of opportunities for passionate individuals to help make a difference in the lives of animals. The team at the Rhode Island SPCA works hard on behalf of all the animals entrusted to our care and is focused on creating a more humane community for all of us.
The Rhode Island SPCA is seeking a full time veterinarian for its newly opened Animal Health Center. The Rhode Island SPCA Animal Health Center provides medical and surgical services for RISPCA shelter animals and provides affordable medical care for animals owned by low and moderate income pet owners.
We are seeking an experienced, compassionate, and highly motivated self-starter to become an integral part of the medical team for our new non-profit clinic. The successful candidate should be flexible and should have high energy and have effective interpersonal skills. A Rhode Island Veterinary License is required for this position.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Perform physical examinations
- Treatment of a wide range of minor illnesses
- Perform surgical and dental procedures depending on experience and comfort level
Education & Skills:
- A Rhode Island Veterinary License is required for this position.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Very competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
- Veterinary License and RIVMA membership dues and AVMA PLIT Insurance
- Continuing education subsidy
- Vacation, sick and personal time and paid holidays
- Health Insurance
How to Apply:
Interested candidates may apply online or may send a cover letter and resume to President, Rhode Island SPCA at email@example.com with the subject line “Veterinarian.” Potential candidates with questions about this position should feel free to submit those questions by e-mail. Telephone calls are welcome at 401-438-8150 Ext. 105.
The Rhode Island SPCA veterinary technician reports directly to the Medical Director. This position works collaboratively and provides crucial support to the Medical Director and other medical staff to ensure animals are given consistent high quality medical care during their stay. Part-time and Full-time positions are being considered at this time.
We are seeking an experienced, organized, compassionate, and service-oriented certified veterinary technician to join our medical team. The candidate must possess flexibility, high energy, the ability to work independently and within a team and effective communication skills.
- Enter all pertinent information into the electronic medical record promptly and accurately
- Follow all shelter medical protocols at the direction of the Medical Director
- Handle and restrain patients with skill and compassion while being attentive to their needs and welfare
- Treat all animals humanely, regardless of circumstance
- Perform and record results of basic diagnostics tests including, but not limited to fecal flotation, PCV/TS, blood glucose measurement, dermatophyte (ringworm) cultures
- Perform venipuncture, IV catheter placements and SQ/IM/IV injections on a variety of species, including but not limited to, dogs, cats and rabbits
- Perform euthanasia at the direction of a licensed veterinarian
- Perform dental scaling and polishing
- Correctly position patients for digital and dental radiography and take exposures at the proper settings
- Calculate drug dosages, prepare and administer medications and vaccinations
- Competently perform all aspects of anesthesia care including, but not limited to induction, intubation and maintenance with volatile anesthetic agents
- Respond to the needs of all clients and staff with a high degree of urgency while communicating appropriate and pertinent medical information based on the audience
- Assist with and perform other tasks as assigned by the Medical Director
- Share ideas during clinic discussions/meeting of ways in which to improve animal care and increase clinic efficiency
- Maintain constructive professional relationships and demonstrate respect for all colleagues and members of the public
- Assist with the training of other members of the medical team
Education & Skills:
- Certified Veterinary Technician preferred
- Fear free shelter certified or willing to obtain certification
- Complete continuing education, as required to maintain certification
- Effective conflict resolution and interpersonal skills
- Support and understand the benefits of low-stress, fear-free handling and positive reinforcement training in a veterinary clinic environment
- Able to adapt swiftly to changes in the environment and/or protocols
- Supports RISPCA’s mission and vision; desires to help advance the organization
- Remains calm and professional in potentially stressful and/or emotional situations
- Is mature, self-motivated, reliable and honest with an outgoing, participatory work style
- Maintains focus during frequent interruptions; works independently with confidence
- A flexible schedule is preferred as occasional emergencies may require weekend, weeknight or holiday hours
Compensation and Benefits:
- Highly competitive compensation commensurate with experience and credentials
- Insurance is provided to full-time employees
- Paid Health time off and sick leave is provided
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can apply online or may send a cover letter and resume to President, Rhode Island SPCA at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Veterinarian.” Potential candidates with questions about this position should feel free to submit those questions by e-mail. Telephone calls are welcome at 401-438-8150 Ext. 105.
Animal Care Attendant
Position Summary: The Animal Care Attendant’s primary responsibility is the daily care and cleaning of any animals in the care of the Rhode Island SPCA.
We are seeking an organized, compassionate, and service-oriented candidate with effective communication and customer service skills to join our team.
● Responsible for the daily care, cleaning and feeding of any/all animals in the RISPCA facility.
● Responsible for the daily cleaning, sanitation and maintenance of all animal enclosures. ● Responsible for all laundry related duties.
● Responsible for the cleaning and sanitation of feeding receptacles and any enrichments toys.
● Responsible for ordering/maintaining a sufficient supply of food and cleaning/sanitation equipment or informing the kennel manager when supplies are needed.
● Responsible for the daily walking/exercise of animals when time allows.
● Responsible for adoption/intake process including customer service and computer related duties.
● Responsible for conducting meet and greets when requested and making final approval on adoption.
● Responsible for ensuring all designated animals are administered required medication. ● Responsible for adhering to procedures for cleaning, feeding, enrichment, and general animal care as defined in the most recent version of the RISPCA Policies and Procedures Manual.
● Perform other duties as required to insure a positive public image and to improve the functioning of the organization.
Education / Work Experience:
● Basic computer literacy required. Familiarity with Shelter Luv desired.
● Ability to work with other departments to accomplish goals and objectives for the organization.
This is a full-time position. Availability and a willingness to work a flexible schedule is required. Includes weekend and holiday work. Must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver’s license.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should contact Rhode Island SPCA President and General Agent, Wayne Kezirian at email@example.com with the subject line “Animal Care Attendant” If your qualifications meet our requirements you will be contacted to set up an interview time. Potential candidates with questions about this position should feel free to submit those questions by e-mail. Telephone calls are welcome at 401-438-8150 Ext. 105.
About the Rhode Island SPCA: Founded in 1870, the Rhode Island SPCA is the oldest humane animal welfare organization in the state of Rhode Island and the third oldest in the United States. As a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, it does not receive any local or federal funding nor is it affiliated with any national humane organization. It relies on donations from individuals, businesses, and foundations to provide critical programs and services for the animals and people in the community.
The Rhode Island SPCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status.